Monday, August 28, 2006

06511

Ah, the new zip code, with a zero in front!! How weird is that?!

Yes, my friends, we are now residing in one of the thirteen original colonies... We saw a town that was established in the 1600's. We are not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Although we are much closer to it than back in "Cali", as Ryan refers to it now.

Married life is wonderful. I really enjoy it. I guess that's what happens when you marry your best friend :) The apartment is looking quite good. The kitchen, bathroom and office are pretty much done. The living room/dining room is almost there... it's the bedroom that is lacking... I think by tomorrow we should get the bed and dresser... so it'll be much better. We bought every piece of furniture, except one bookshelf all new... so we were truly happy to be able to count on the wedding gifts to pay for it all, or add to the decor, depending on the case.

So, last week we moved into this apartment, here in New Haven, CT... I can't believe it's been a week now! After driving for 5 days I think... We left on a Wednesday morning from Azusa, CA... got to Vegas that night and spent it there with my cousin... That was really nice, and I got to see my 92 year old great aunt again!! Yey!!! But, driving a U-Haul trailer hitched onto Ryan's truck took way more time (max speed 55 mph, or else it would start fish-tailing). Then we made it to Vail, Colorado on the second day... after like 15 hours of driving through Arizona and Utah. We were going to visit Ryan's cousin, but it was 2 more hours of driving, so that didn't happen. It turns out Vail is a ski resort city, but since it was summer all rooms were pretty much open, and much cheaper than I think it would be come December. Friday morning we drove through the rest of Colorado and rested in Omaha, Nebraska. Nebraska is very boring. Very boring. Saturday, we drove through Iowa (a bit better) and then got into Illinois, and stayed at Ryan's other cousin's place in Chicagoland (40 min from Chicago). A very beautiful house!! And we ate Chicago style deep-dish pizza, a must have!!! Yuuuummmy!! That was a nice stay... Then on Sunday we drove through Indiana and stopped in Ohio. And then Monday we drove through Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and then got to New Haven, Connecticut!!! Yey!!!

In the end we were sick of being in the car... Ryan had to drive all the way out, because I couldn't get it stable. So it was very long.

Monday we got all the boxes into the apartment (that killed my calves by the way). Then it was massive shopping spree days + building furniture, very long days let me tell you. The cool things to mention:

* Our kitchen is red... Red table (small Ikea one where we are presently dining at), red drying rack, red towels, red toaster/toaster oven... very fun!

* Our bathroom is green (ie: green towels and candles) with white toothbrush holder and the like... and a green curtain! Very very cute...

*Our living room is white and blue. We have an Ikea bookshelf/entertainment center
where our new 37" LCD HDTV (that arrived today and Ryan is currently mounting) will reside... and we have a lot of blue-hued decorations (ie: lamps, vases, candles.... we're big on candles!)

*Our office is also very cool. We have matching desks that go on opposit walls (they're L shaped desks, though). We did decorate ours differently, matching our different tastes. I have green pushpins and green and blue file and pencil holders, while Ryan's is all metallic.

Um, so little by little apartment feels like home. I do miss friends sooo much... it didn't hit until last Friday when I met up with the immunology people. I dunno why that kind of hit me hard. It's been a little hard ever since. Oh well, I will survive. Ryan and I can do anything together, and that keeps us going! Huh, sweetie?

Anyway, that's all for today...

G

No comments: